KAMLOOPS – The BC Wildfire Service has implemented an Area Restriction Order within the vicinity of the Stein Mountain wildfire (K71634), located approximately 15km northwest of Lytton, west of the Fraser River. This Order takes effect at 12 p.m. (noon) Pacific Daylight Time (PDT) on Sept. 5, 2023, and remains in force until the earlier of 12 p.m. (noon) PDT on Sept. 12, 2023, or until the Order is rescinded.
This area restriction reflects the need to protect public and BC Wildfire Service personnel safety in areas where fire suppression activities are taking place.
Under this Order and section 11(2) of the Wildfire Act, a person must not remain in or enter the restricted area unless the person:
- Travelling as a person acting in an official capacity;
- Travelling for the purpose of supporting wildfire suppression activities;
- Travelling to or from his or her principal residence, that is not under an evacuation order;
- Travelling to or from his or her private or leased property for the purposes of accessing his or her secondary residence or recreational property, that is not under an evacuation order;
- Using a highway as defined in the Highway Act; or
- Engaging and/or participating in agricultural activities pertaining to livestock or agriculture management on Crown Range, Crown Grazing Lease, private or leased property.
This Order applies to Crown land within the geographic boundaries described below and as outlined in the heavy black dashed and shaded grey line on the map located here.
North Boundary: Commencing at Point 1 (50° 26.277’, -121° 46.930’), follow unnamed creek east to Point 2 (50° 26.268’, -121° 43.899’), the intersection of unnamed creek and the boundary of LYTTON 4A Indian Reserve.
East Boundary: Commencing at Point 2, follow the west side of the Fraser River south, excluding LYTTON 4F Indian Reserve, LYTTON 4E Indian Reserve, LYTTON 33 Indian Reserve, CAMERON BAR 13 Indian Reserve, LYTTON 13A Indian Reserve, and TSAUKAN 12 Indian Reserve, to Point 3 (50° 21.277’, -121° 40.418’). Then, follow the boundaries of YAWACHT 11 Indian Reserve, NKAIH 10 Indian Reserve, LYTTON 9A Indian Reserve, and STRYEN 9 Indian Reserve south to Point 4 (50° 17.498’, -121° 38.851’) at the intersection of STRYEN 9 Indian Reserve and STEIN VALLEY NLAKA’PAMUX HERITAGE PARK.
South Boundary: Commencing at Point 4, travel northwest along the boundary of STEIN VALLEY NLAKA’PAMUX HERITAGE PARK to Point 5 (50° 20.331’, -121° 46.027’).
West Boundary: Commencing at Point 5, travel at a bearing of 354.41° for 10983 meters to Point 1.
The BC Wildfire Service would like to remind the public that while access to private residences are permitted, the public must remain out of active fire areas. Interference in these areas has a direct impact on operations and poses a safety risk to both the individual and to BC Wildfire Service personnel.
Failure to comply with Section 11 restricted area requirements may result in a violation ticket of $1,150.
Road closures and area restrictions are subject to change depending on fire activity. For the most current information please visit the bans and restrictions section of the BC Wildfire website for the Kamloops Fire Centre.
People can follow the latest wildfire news:
- on the free BC Wildfire Service public mobile app, available for Apple (iOS) and Android devices
- on Twitter: twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
- on Facebook: facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo
Fire Information Officer
BC Wildfire Service
Connect with the Province of B.C. at www.gov.bc.ca/connect.